The New York City Marathon 2022
November 4, 2022 | 3 min Read
This weekend New York City is home to one of the most prestigious running races in the world: the TCS New York City Marathon. Each year, the strong and ambitious register early and qualify to run the TCS New York City Marathon. It’s an honor and the opportunity of a lifetime to run the streets of New York City for a whopping 26.2 miles. It’s said that the most ardent, sassy and excited fans are in New York and they come out in droves to cheer on the runners. Join in the festivities and fun this year!
The TCS NYC Marathon will take place on Sunday, November 6, 2022. Race time: 8am
NB: Clocks fall back an hour on Sunday, November 6, so you’ll get an extra hour of rest.
The route begins on Staten Island. It takes runners through Brooklyn and into Queens before entering Manhattan. Then they head back out to the Bronx, and finally down into Manhattan and Central Park for an emotional finish. You can see the full route map here. There’s also an app that gives updates and information about the race.
The TCS New York City Marathon started as a small race in Central Park in 1970 with a mere 55 finishers. In 2021 there were over 25,00 finishers. The race is organized by New York Road Runners whose mission is to help and inspire people through running. This is the 51st year of the NYC Marathon.
Best Cheering Points:
- If you’re an early riser, head out to Fourth Avenue in Brooklyn (Miles 2-4) to catch runners as they exit the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge and move along Fourth Avenue.
- Fans love to line up along First Avenue in Manhattan (Miles 16-18) to cheer on the runners as they move well past the mid-way point of the race.
- Further north in East Harlem (Miles 18-20) there are great viewing points as well.
- For a fun time, check out the New Balance Mile 20 Block Party (First Avenue near Willis Avenue Bridge). There’s live music as runners narrow in on the home stretch.
- Strava, Central Park South and Seventh Avenue is another great spot to cheer.
- Last but not least, cheering the runners on in the final minutes of the race at the United Entertainment Zone in Columbus Circle is an emotional experience.
If you’re not up for a live viewing, you can always tune in and catch the TCS NYC Marathon on WABC-TV, Channel 7, from 8:30am to 1:30pm. Live streaming will be available on the ABC App and ABC7NY.com from 7am to 1:30pm.
Professional athletes kick off the race, but there are plenty of runners whose times might not set records but whose ambition and circumstances make them notable athletes. It’s a communal city-wide event and tradition to step outside and celebrate with all of those brave enough to run such a long distance. Runners count on the support of fans to help them make it across the finish line!
If you’re interested in being a part of the behind the scenes magic, consider giving back by volunteering in 2023 (opportunities will be posted starting November 7).
About The Lombardy Hotel
The Lombardy Hotel’s timeless elegance is iconic to Midtown Manhattan. Our rooms are spacious, comfortable and thoughtfully designed to make you feel at home. We look forward to hosting you on your next visit to New York City.
*Due to Covid-19 our restaurant, cafe and gym will remain closed for a time.
Gives us a Thumbs Up
If this article was useful